Friday, October 19, 2012

Lupine Loveliness











Last night you howled me awake
The pair of you, serenading each other
Making music, or love, your voices ululating
Full of such terrible tenderness I found
Myself unable to return to slumber

Sweet but primitive yearning in your voices
Had me wondering, were you about to mate,
Or simply singing eternal love-songs to Luna
As she blessed you with her gibbous fullness
Showering silvery light on shadowy mountain peaks

Thank you for honouring me, oh ancient ones
Granting me your ghostly presence again this year
An affirmation of the circle of life, you surely are
Performing in the darkness as if in a dream;
Stopping by just long enough to grant me peace.                                                                                                                                                                             


3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful. Their cries are so haunting. I especially love your final stanza......"stopping by just long enough to grant me peace." Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. The elephant photo as a backdrop is stunning. I would love to see her whole face........such ancient and wise creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poem-gorgeous imagery and the dance of nature's circle~ Beautiful!

    I love your elephant...what a beauty~

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts? A word or two? All or any, welcome ...